f2 engines

Normal discussions, questions and ideas
Peter Essaff
Superside Board

Post by Peter Essaff » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Lets go racing! The rules were worked on a few years ago with a large SRA membership of racers. This rule change had nothing to do with the F-2 class as far as safety.
We need to keep this open to all that might want to enter this sport.
I will not understand why this rule was changed untill I get a reasonable answer.
Sidecar Pete

bfd

Post by bfd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Pete- I'm trying to get some time to call you but its been surprisingly busy here today. Maybe tonight, most likely tomorrow if you have time?

Peter Essaff
Superside Board

Post by Peter Essaff » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:55 pm

ChrisWells wrote:I respectfully suggest everyone continue this thread in the private forum

Chris
Chris,

I posted in the other section if you would like to fill me in.
Sidecar Pete

gord

ok

Post by gord » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 am

125 bhp plus 82 ft lbs of torque and 10 shifts per lap,it's not like you're banned, just scored F1............the times are a changin

PDEMER48

crying

Post by PDEMER48 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:13 pm

well first the new rules were to be done long ago by the secatary not sure what the hold up is but what can i say. like in the past rule changes and then nothing get done and no one knows whats going on and thats why you get all the fighting.
ok like here you get the non racers or part time racers complaining. when they could have gone to the meeting and said what they like. its not tlike they did know it was coming if i remeber they got hand out with some of the changes to be looked at and i remeber it was one of them.

its just to bad that the rules were not fixed and posted like we all wanted
for new people

PDEMER48

crying

Post by PDEMER48 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:14 pm

well first the new rules were to be done long ago by the secatary not sure what the hold up is but what can i say. like in the past rule changes and then nothing get done and no one knows whats going on and thats why you get all the fighting.
ok like here you get the non racers or part time racers complaining. when they could have gone to the meeting and said what they like. its not tlike they did know it was coming if i remeber they got hand out with some of the changes to be looked at and i remeber it was one of them.

its just to bad that the rules were not fixed and posted like we all wanted
for new people

ChrisWells

Post by ChrisWells » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi Pete,

I gently prodded those involved so hopefully the updated rules will appear on the website soon.

Here's hoping everyone just comes out and races this season and we can sort out any remaining issues with the rules at the next AGM.

Chris

cor-blimey

Post by cor-blimey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:09 pm

You could if you joined the club Jean Guy .............

Also don't forget that when you were building that bike I said (given our rules) that it would have to race as an F1 ......

Mick

Mick Boyle

sidecarzang

Post by sidecarzang » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:11 pm

dont forget mick, that i told you i was building a P3 bike for the VRRA series . it should have been able to bump into F2. most of my main frame is 1977 including swingarm. . i have built 18 rigs, how many have you built . i think i have earned the right to my opinion, larger grids are everything in any motorsport. excluding any sidecar is not the way to go. JG

cor-blimey

Post by cor-blimey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Growing the grid is very important to the club.

I'm pleased that the rules were able to be looked at, modified and approved at the AGM.

But that's what rules & AGM's are for - to ensure that the club is heading in the right direction in a controlled manner.

So if there is a rule that says all sidecars should be solar powered (to compete) - they should be until the rules are changed in unison by the club. An AGM is the best place to do this away from the intensity of the track.

Trying to bend the rules to your advantage is not fair to others who are following them to the best of their ability.

Although this does seem to be the pattern that you use on a regular basis.

No I haven't built any bikes but If I did then I wouldn't build a 636cc bike to run in a class with a limit of 600cc.

I'd simply take a look at the existing rule book and ask for clarification- like you did and were refused as an F2 but allowed to race in the F1 class with your P3 - but refused to do so.

Take care.

Mick

Mick Boyle

sidecarzang

Post by sidecarzang » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm

with a 10% overbore in place it was 6cc over, no real advantage there, the p3 bike has perhaps 90 HP, for sure no advantage .no body had a problem when michelle was racing theF2 bike. i agree with the rules on the most part, but when you ask year after year for the rules to posted and they never come , it just gets a bit silly dont you think, it should be for anybody out there, and not just for the group that show up for the agm. if the rule book is the bible, then very few bike would past tech, so stop making out that i constantly break the rules. the bikes i raced are legal and if not why was i not protested. why dont you e mail me with your problems,and stop pokin at me , so i dont have to respond here.
Last edited by sidecarzang on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Essaff
Superside Board

Post by Peter Essaff » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Mick,

Great to hear from you. Hope all is going well!!

As far as the issue is right now, we see smaller grids than ever.
Right now this F2 rule will not help the SRA.

So back to this 2009 tread, and the rules put in place back then.
The rule allowed up to 1200cc air cooled motors. There is no way this would be a better choice over a 600cc wc package in F2.
It would still be something that would fit into the F2 class better than a short underpowered bike in F1.
Also, this rule allowed the vintage racers a place to run with the SRA after we stopped running events with VRRA.

This F2 rules bans any vintage rig and all the older F2 outfits that have raced for years from the class they best fit into.

WHY should we wait untill next years AGM, and see what happens.

What is the reason the F2 rule was changed?
Is it becouse no one at the AGM knew of the F2 rule in this tread?
Was it just over looked?

We worked hard to get the rules worked out back then, with a very large membership.
The only reason to change a rule would be for safety.

The SRA should have a rule commitee.
Any rule change request should be posted for all to see.
The commitee would take input from the members.
They would make any change as a vote. (by commitee)
This way the rule book would be fixed, unless a change was requested and passed by the commitee.

The (and SRA members) goal is for our sport to go on (and grow).
Lets have a good time, see everyone pack up and make it home safe after a weekend of fun.
Sidecar Pete

gord

Post by gord » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:12 am

[quote="Peter Essaff"]Hi Mick,

Great to hear from you. Hope all is going well!!

As far as the issue is right now, we see smaller grids than ever.
Right now this F2 rule will not help the SRA.

What a load of crap Pete,,how mamy teams will quit racing because of this versus how many will go out and buy a proper F2! Currently that would be you and Miles and Craig plus me spending all winter putting in a LEGAL motor,hopefully more will follow.. Fuckin sigh! Some people would like to buy a sorted bike from say Steve English and know its going to go out there and be fast .you're one of them apparently. I don't understand how JG can go build an illegal bike (grandfather means it already existed and it most certainly did not) and wind everybody up,All this was already voted on,you don't approve of democracy,start your own country

sidecarzang

Post by sidecarzang » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 am

i built my bike for the VRRA P3 class . it meets all the rules they have posted. so stop calling it illegal, you should know better then to post something like that. the point of this discusion is that the F2 rules wont allow any of the larger air cooled bike,s to race in this class. this is not england, we just dont have the numbers . try and relax and think about that .ps. pete if you did start your own country. i would visit and it would be cool, lots of sidecar racing and no rules. ha ha

steelegreen

Post by steelegreen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Hey everyone.

I know I am new here, well, new this time around.

I think we can all agree that we want to see as many sidecars as possible to get out on the track. However, there is still a requirement to have some sort of rules put in place to prevent chaos and anarchy!

I do think that expecting a Vintage eligible rig to jump 2 classes and compete in the F1 Class is probably a little unreasonable.

As Jean Guy has said, his rig is not illegal, it is VRRA P3 eligible and just does not fit into the current SRA rules.

Anyway, there are a few options that can be considered.

1) Leave things as they are with the regimented SRA F1 and F2 rules. This of course may affect the number of these 'fringe' rigs from joining us.

2) Include a "vintage class" in the SRA to allow for those vintage rigs to participate. This has been tried before and may not be the best option.

3) Perhaps make a change to the current rules to allow those rigs that meet the vintage specifications (P1/P2/P3) of an authorized racing organization (VRRA/USCRA/AHRMA/etc) to compete with the SRA and be included with the F2 Class. This would ensure that any fringe rigs are not one-of, uniquely made outfits, but are in fact authorized and legitimate racing sidecars.

i think Option 3 might be the best way to go and probably the easiest to implement and would show a bit of good faith to the owners of these fringe rigs.

Anyway, feel free to shoot holes in any of the options. I still have my gear from overseas.
Gary Green